Wednesday, November 11, 2009

French Musicals

I had a few more questions & comments from my previous post, and although I answered a couple via comments, I thought I would re-answer them in an official post:

How can you stand their singing [in French Musicals]? Most French musical stars can't carry a tune in a bucket.

I'm no expert in singing -- and I, perhaps, can't carry a tune in a bucket -- but I quite enjoy most of my French musicals (some songs not so much).

Have you seen "8 Femmes"?

I have. In fact, I used to own it several years ago, but then I hit my, "I have to be super righteous so God will make me straight; I better throw away all R-rated movies I own" phase, and out it went.

What French musicals are in your collection?

Ali Baba (Highlights CD & DVD)
Cindy (Integral CD & DVD)
Cléopâtre La Dernière Reine D'Egypte (Highlights CD)
Les Dix Commandements (Highlights CD & DVD)
Don Juan (Integral CD & DVD)
Dracula: Entre l'amour et la mort (DVD)
Émilie Jolie (Integral CD & DVD)
Gladiateur (DVD)
Mozart: L'Opéra Rock (Highlights CD)
Notre Dame de Paris (Integral CD & DVD)
Le Petit Prince (Integral CD & DVD)
Le Roi Soleil (Integral CD & DVD)
Roméo & Juliette (Highlights CD & DVD)
Tristan & Yseult (Highlights CD)

(...I think I remembered them all...)

Wish List:
Kirikou et Karaba DVD
Cléopâtre La Dernière Reine D'Egypte DVD -- coming out December 11
Le Soldat Rose DVD -- I could probably live without this one, though.
Mozart: L'Opéra Rock Integral CD

I have Romeo et Juliette, which I quite like; Les Parapluies de Cherbourg, which is one of my favorite movies; and Notre Dame de Paris (I like some of the songs, but the staging of it was just weird).

Roméo et Juliette is probably my second favorite (Don Juan being my first). I've never seen Les Parapluies de Cherbourg; I'll have to check it out.

I have to agree, the staging in Notre Dame de Paris is rather weird; I would definitely go a different way in most things, but I totally stole what I call the open jazz square from "La Fête des Foux" ; it appears every once in a while in my choreography -- in fact, I just taught it to my 8-11 year-old tap class.

2 comments:

  1. Have you heard the original French concept recording of Les Miserables?

    (I have it, if you're interested)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard it yet -- and, yes, I would be interested.

    ReplyDelete