Wednesday, July 13, 2011

New York!

I pop my New York cherry in just a few hours.

Being a theatre and Marvel geek, I was considering pushing [GMB] into getting us tickets to see Spiderman: Turn off the Dark.

While I know it's received poor reviews, I usually take such with a grain of salt. My tastes are weird, and I tend to like things that most people don't really like. Granted, there were some things that made me worry.

Instead of jumping to conclusions, I gave the show the benefit of the doubt and finally listened to some clips from the original cast recording... and my fears were confirmed, namely:

BONO

Ew. Gross. No, please. Throw it away!

Bono's music (to my ears, anyway) is emotionally monochromatic. To play off of a contrasting, emotionally variegated show : "I Miss[ed] the Mountains." (extra points to those who know the reference)

That said, I must say that I applaud the risk. That, alone, is deserving my support (just not an immediate support, seeing as I'm presently out-of-a-job).

Not many people are risk takers, a trait I'm starting to quite highly value. I'm realizing that stagnation is, by large often [sic], due to not taking a chance. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Spiderman, Turn off the Dark, is the beginning of some yet to be seen spectacular spectacularness in musical theatre.

I know I, being a huge X-Men fan, am now considering that it just may be possible to see a fabu musical based on an otherwise musically-benign comic book series.

5 comments:

  1. You have to go see "The Book of Mormon" while in NYC. I want to know your take on it.

    As for "I Miss the Mountains," I am going to see Next to Normal on tour THIS WEEK! I am super-excited to see it!

    NYC is the best place, and I am missing it more and more. You and GMB have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same, I often like things that other people hate. I wonder if it is a subconscious rebellion?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous! One of these days I am going to make it out to New York.

    I think you're right, Spiderman could turn out to be this amazing musical. It's just not there yet. Most people seem to think they need to stop injuring their cast members and go through a few more revisions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you had a great visit to NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joey: I have a few musicals I'd prefer to see before BoM (I want to see a more heavily choreographed show like Billy Elliot, Chicago, or Anything Goes). But it's on my list. I know GMB would like to check it out.

    Mind of Mine: I've wondered the same thing. But I figure it's because most people don't see true brilliance like I do (I jest!)

    El Genio: It will be interesting to see what happens with Spiderman.

    M. Curie: Definitely had a great time.

    ReplyDelete