Sunday, December 21, 2008

Santa Claus

Santa Claus.

A lie we seem to love.

But why? Why aren't kids outraged when they find out they've been purposefully lied to--by those whom they should be able to trust the most? And, why in the world, do kids grow up to pass on this tradition of lying?!

Personally, I think the answer is quite simple: it's fun, and the memories of Santa are--for the most part--good, happy, nostalgic, etc.

The lie instigated good times. The lie was meant to instigate good times. Good times are... well... good.

Perhaps you can see where I'm headed with this: Religion & God. After all, does not the often accompanying word "Gospel" literally mean "Good News" ? That is, is not the intent of religion to instigate good times?

Whoa!! Wait a minute... Am I inferring that religion, God, etc. are lies?!?

No. I'm saying they could be. They could very well be another instance of this Santa Claus business.

Don't get me wrong. I believe in God. I really do. But, at the same time, I understand I could very well be like the naive little kid who believes in Santa Claus.

You know what, though, it's something that helps me (and many) have a good time here in life.

For example, my friend's mom passed away the other day. My friend's belief in God and the afterlife have been major components in helping her deal with the emotions associated with such a difficult time.

It's also kind of nice, during the really good times, to think that someone "up there" is looking out for you. I enjoy smiling and thanking God for even just a simply good day.

So, anyway, why isn't the possibility of religion as fun as and as good as the possibility of Santa Claus?

(A question I wish some religious leaders would ask themselves.)

3 comments:

  1. Were Santa Claus presented as an historical figure, I would agree such is an unfair comparison, the existence of Santa & the existence of God.

    However, in this day, Santa Claus is present as some mystical being with beyond human capabilities which children "accept [...] by faith and evidence of [h]is existence."

    Such is parallel with God.

    Those of us who believe in God are very much like children who believe in the present-day Santa Claus--personally, I think this is actually a good thing; it's a sign of innocence and pure, child-like love & faith (the best kind there is, in my book).

    Of course, there are differences, but I am referring specifically to the scripture you referenced concerning having faith as the evidence of things unseen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the most part I was just being technical hehe.

    I suppose I can see that, where you are coming from. Yet, when I contemplate my existence, my life, where I have come from, where I am going, the faith of the martyrs, the demonstrations of miracles in my life, i can say "How is it that there is no God?"

    Santa Claus as the mystical figure on the other hand is very easy to disprove. No one has actually seen him go down a chimney or make reindeer fly. Yet, I have seen the hand of God in my life, through people, through vision, and through words written in places, even a fortune cookie.

    I think of all this and say, "How is it that there is no God?"

    Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very intriguing post. I like the way you think.

    ReplyDelete