Thursday, April 1, 2010

Maybe I should wait?

Considering the comments on my letter to my family, I'm wondering if I should hold off sending anything until I have a boyfriend.

On one hand, it gives me more of a reason to send something. It makes it more real, taking it out of realm of theory and what-ifs and putting it into the "I have a boyfriend, how are you going to treat and see him?"

On the other hand, who knows when I'll get a boyfriend.

On the foot, what's the rush?

Sure, I want my family to know that I'm not struggling with being gay. There's no conflict left in me. Although, the more I think about it, the more I feel that I should wait until I have something more concrete for them to consider.

I'm becoming a rather patient person. While I still have pings of wanting to push and prod things along with my family, I think I can handle just going with the flow as I do with most things in life.

... of course, my laissez-faire attitude has backfired a few times before...

1 comment:

  1. That's hard... I understand the desire to have in be known. I think I did send a letter to my extended family -- uncles, aunts, and cousins.

    On the one hand, I can understand how folks would see that as heavy handed. But on the other hand, I understand the need to be freed from the burden of heterosexist assumption...

    In a more enlightened society, maybe we would have a coming-of-age ceremony in which people could announce whether they are hetero or homo. Then we could put it behind us and be done with it.

    ReplyDelete